On the 1st of July 2021, the Protection of Personal Information Act No.4 of 2013 commonly known as “POPIA” came into full force and effect. POPIA seeks to protect people from harm by protecting their personal information. The Act thus seeks to balance the right to privacy against other rights, particularly the right of access to information and it prescribes conditions for the lawful processing of personal information. Your personal information was collected when you signed up for an eLearning account, or when you were manually registered on the Studypro eLearning platform.
The Studypro has appointed an Information Officers as prescribed by POPIA, who will oversee the implementation of POPIA as well as attend to all requests made for access to personal information as prescribed in POPIA, as well as the Promotion of Access to Personal Information Act, No 2 of 2000 (PAIA).
All requests for access to personal information and general information should be directed to the contact us section of the Studypro. In compliance with PAIA and POPIA, the Studypro complies with PAIA manual on its website, together with the prescribed forms, for completion by any party requesting access to personal information held by the Studypro. Studypro recognises that personal information of an individual or learner (“the data subject”) may only be processed in terms of POPIA when:
- the data subject, or a competent person where the data subject is a minor, consents to the processing of information;
- processing is necessary to carry out actions for the conclusion or performance of a contract or enrollment for a course to which the data subject is a party;
- processing complies with any obligations, imposed by law, on the Studypro;
- processing protects a legitimate interest of the data subject;
- processing is necessary for the performance of a public law duty; and
- processing is necessary for pursuing the legitimate interests of the Studypro or other juristic person that has paid for the learner, if applicable.
In terms of POPIA, a data subject has the following rights:
- the right to know what information is being kept, how it is being used, and when the Studypro discloses it;
- the right to correct their details. The Studypro will keep the information updated or as captured by the data subject. Please ensure that your personal information in your online profile is kept updated as required. You can access your online profile HERE.
- The right to revoke consent. Data subjects may revoke the consent that has been given in terms of this form at any time. This should be done in writing in the aforementioned e-mail addresses. If you wish to unsubscribe from receiving communications from the Studypro eLearning platform, you may update your contact preferences HERE. However, please be advised that these emails are a vital part of your learning experience and are used to keep you updated and informed.
I participate in STUDYPRO eLearning activities with the knowledge that system-generated data may be used, anonymously, to inform monitoring, evaluation and research activities that aim to continuously improve the eLearning offering.
By participating in eLearning activities, I agree to the StudyPro Code of Honour and will:
- Complete all assignments with my work. I will not submit the work of any other person.
- Maintain only one user account and not let anyone else use my username and/or password.
- Respect the diversity of participants and will avoid making any statements that would be considered insensitive or inappropriate in the discussions.
- Not engage in any practise that may be considered dishonest in any context.